I had the distinct honour to be asked to MC my cousin’s wedding last weekend (and I was playing faux photographer). I thought I would post some tips after some research I did prior to:
- Your job is to ensure the night continues to run smooooooothly.
- You have a bit of research to do. Do not buy anything online (there’s a truck load of info you can buy). You best bet is to find free information and watch youtube videos.
- Be in touch with the bride. You want to make sure you map out her expectations. She’s the one you DON’T want to piss off.
- Don’t tell stupid emcee jokes. Find some quality ones and make the relate to the bride and groom.
- Ensure that you get write ups for the wedding party from the bride and groom. If you insult anyone, you’ll want to be able to blame it on them.
- Speak loudly into the microphone. Don’t be afraid of it.
- Make friends with the bar staff. They will keep you liquored up if you do this. I’ve included a joke I told in order to butter them up! LOL!
- If you call up tables by pulling numbers out of the hat, ask a little person to come up and do it. People love that.
- I had heard a radio show a couple of months prior to the wedding talking about if it was necessary to give a gift if you were the MC as you were giving the gift of emceeing! TACKY is what I say. If you’re bringing mouths to feed, bone up and get a gift or give money to the bride and groom.
- Have fun! If you have fun your crowd will loosen up too and they will have fun.
- And the number one tip you should always remember: they will probably be drunk too when you’re talking so don’t worry too much how good a job you did. They probably won’t remember it.
Now, here’s my line up if anyone wants to copy (names have been changed):
Introduce the wedding party
- Assistant – Find an assistant to help you:
- Put wedding party in order
- When I announce the names, let them walk in, announce, walk in
- COULD EVERYONE PLEASE STAND FOR THE ENTRANCE OF THE BRIDAL PARTY
- BRIDESMAID: Entering the room first we have the bride’s sister in law and bridesmaid, Jill. Joan and Jill have known each other since they started nursing school together, where Joan made the mistake of introducing Jill to her drunken brother, John, and they have lived happily ever after since.
- BRIDESMAID: Janice is Joan’s next bridesmaid. Janice is always the bridesmaid and never the bride but we’re pretty sure things are about to change as she has finally met the man that she thinks is the “one”. I understand “the one” is somewhere in this very room tonight!
- BRIDESMAID: Jasmine is the last, but certainly not least, bridesmaid. Jasmine remains the devote party girl and is always up for a good time, always the life of the party and always happy with a drink in her hand!!
- GROOMSMAN: On the men’s side, we have Jake, Jason’s brother and one of the groomsmen. Mr. Incredible is known to be able to change a diaper with his left hand without spilling his beer with his right.
- GROOMSMAN: Next up is Justin is Jason’s brother. When he’s not playing groomsman, he’s kick ass and taking numbers at the local mini golf course and from what I understand, he’s your man for downloading movies off the internet.
- GROOMSMAN: And our last groomsman to enter is Joan’s brother John. John has been known to get into the occasional fistfight with Joan’s prospective boyfriends. So far, Jason is unscathed.
And for the final entrance for the wedding party we have the maid of honor and the best man.
- MAID OF HONOR: Jessica is Joan’s best friend and her maid of honour. It is a well known fact that everything in Jessica’s world is made better with some kind of Vodka drink in her hand and if anyone is going to trip and fall over during the wedding it will probably be her!!
- BEST MAN: Jeff is Jason’s long time friend and best man. Jason calls him his brother from another mother. Evidentially, if you’re having a BBQ, Jeff is bound to show up.
- BRIDE AND GROOM: And finally, ladies and gentlemen, the moment we’ve all been waiting for, HE’s known for missing more phone calls on the golf course than a high paying executive. SHE’s is known to have the prettiest nipples and the sexiest toe cleavage…May I present to you… Jason and Joan Jasper!!
Open wedding reception/welcome guests
- Hello everyone and welcome! My name is Robin. I am obviously Jason’s favorite cousin, and I will be your MC for tonight.
- On behalf of the bride and groom, and on behalf of their families I’d like to thank everyone for coming here and celebrating with us today.
- What a gorgeous day, with some pretty beautiful and handsome people eh?
- When I was first asking to be Master of Ceremonies I was very flattered, and then I thought to myself, it’s a lot like being asked to make love to Prince Charles… it’s a great honor but no one wants to do it.
- Since Jason and I are cousins, I have known him my whole life, suffice it to say I have plenty of stories… aaaaand unfortunately, none of them would be very appropriate… however my memory improves with alcohol, so if you catch me at the bar later, you never know what I might remember.
- A few housekeeping items –
- Washrooms are located over by the tasting bar in the far corner,
- Church and State has let me know that there is a smoking area at the end of the deck on the vineyard side…when you are facing the tasting bar doors to walk in, on your left. They have a barrel there with a container filled with sand. Their preference is that no cigars are smoked as the smell really carries in the building and effects other guests.
- The bride and the groom would appreciate no clinking of the glasses – if people would like the couple to kiss they need to demonstrate how they would like them to kiss first or come up to the mic and give them a “tip” for a long and happy marriage.
- There will be a cash bar open if people would like different wines that are not being served during dinner which will be open until 11pm. No outside alcohol is permitted.
- The photographer will be trying to get pictures of all guests throughout the night. Her name is Jessica. Jessica where are you? It will be near impossible for Jessica to take photos of everyone, so if you could please help her out by asking her to take a photo you so Abby and Doug have a cherished memory that will live on for years to come.
- And for my last introduction, everyone will need a drink for, it’s obvious that I’m going to focus on the most important people here today… the people we feel all great love for, and without whom, this wouldn’t be at all possible. I’m sure all of us at some point will share with them our thoughts from this day and give them our love, admiration and best wishes. So ladies and gentlemen, please raise your glasses and say a toast to………….. the bar staff! (If you wanted to make this sentimental you could say the Bride and Groom)
- Itinerary – BRIEF!!
Ok folks, this is what we have in store for this evening:
- Dinner will be served shortly.
- Followed by cutting and serving of the cake
- After that is the much anticipated speeches
- And finally, the first Dance
- And now onto dinner! Since dinner is buffet style, we will be calling up tables one by one. We will start with the head table. Then table number 1, 2, 3, kids…
Time to draw numbers to see who goes first.
- 1. I’d like to draw your attention everyone to the next portion of our evening. Doug and Abby will be cutting their cake. Please feel free to come up and take photos.
Introduce the speeches
And now it’s time for the speeches to begin. You all will have an opportunity after the speeches have been made to come up to the mic and say a few short words to Doug and Abby if you wish.
- First up is Jessica (maid of honour)
- Jeff (best man),
- Joan’s Dad.
- The mic is open if anyone wants to come up and say a few SHORT words to Jason and Joan.
- And finally, Jason and Joan would like to say a few words
- I’d like to end the speeches with a toast to all of the out of town guests that have come to share in Jason and Joan’s special day and to the friends who couldn’t make it for one reason or another. I’d also like to say a big thanks to the service staff of Church & State, the photographer Jennifer and to the DJ. CHEERS!
Closing the formal program/misc
- And this ends the MCing portion of the night. Thanks everyone for being a great crowd! Let’s get this party started by Jason and Joan getting out on the dance floor for their first dance.